Sunday, February 12, 2012

WARNING! Don't start this book too close to bedtime! -- When the Smoke Clears

Lynette Eason’s When the Smoke Clears is hazardous to your sleep!  When I was reading the book, I kept thinking, “OK.  I’ll go to bed at the end of this chapter.”  But I would get to the end of the chapter and . . . WHAM! . . . another cliff-hanger that just wouldn’t wait until morning!  I finally – and very reluctantly – just had to put it down and go to bed and wait until the next evening to finish the story.

Alexia Allen has put her hurtful past behind and moved on.  When she is forced to take some time off while a failure with her firefighting equipment is investigated, she decides  to go back “home” for a school reunion.  As soon as she steps into her mother’s house, she is met with murder . . . and that is just the beginning of her troubles.  As more deaths and damage happen, evidence mounts against Alexia, all while her own life is at risk.  In addition to the growing present danger, Alexia’s return to her hometown forces her to deal with ghosts from her past.  And then there are her growing feelings for Detective Hunter Graham and the promptings toward God from family and friends where she least expects them.

If you like good, clean suspense with a Christian message, I would highly recommend When the Smoke Clears.  The bad news . . . Lynette leaves you hanging, and you have to wait until October for the second book in the series, When a Heart Stops. 

Available February 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

This book was provided free from Revell for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! Appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It's easy to give a great review for a great book! :) Please keep the good stories coming.

      I pretty much read only Christian fiction. Suspense/thrillers (but not "creepy" stuff) has turned into one of my favorite genres, and I'm always glad to find new, good authors like you.

      I've only read A Killer Among us in your Women of Justice series. I opted in on a blogger review opportunity, not realizing at first that it was book 3 in a series. It was great by itself, but I have bought copies of the first two and hope to find time to read them soon.

      (Here's a link to my review of that one: http://southerngallovestoread.blogspot.com/2011/05/killer-among-us.html)

      Delete