Thursday, May 24, 2012

A quick, thought-provoking read -- Fruit of My Spirit

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Deanna Nowadnick, asking if I would be willing to read a book she had recently written and review it on my blog.  I love to read and enjoy finding new authors, so I was willing to give it a try.

I am happy to report that the very small amount of time I invested in reading Fruit of My Spirit was time well spent.  Deanna has written a short, conversational account of experiences from her own life and the lessons she has learned from them.  The subtitle of the book is Reframing Life in God's Grace.  The approach the author takes is relating how those experiences looked to her at the time (or maybe shortly after they happened), and then sharing how they now look from the perspective of God's Spirit working within her, specifically relating different events to the fruit of the spirit the apostle Paul wrote about in his letter to the Galatians.

There are places in the book where the story seems to wander a bit or where there is a little repetition.  But that was not distracting to me and seemed to just be a part of the personal narrative style Deanna used.  She was very open and transparent in sharing her stories and left me feeling like I had just had a heart-to-heart conversation with a friend.

According to the back cover of the book, Deanna began this book as a short story for her sons.  I hope her sons treasure this meaningful insight into their mother's heart and soul.  Beyond that very limited initial audience, I believe other readers can be challenged to look at their own lives from the perspective of God's Spirit and reframe their own life lessons in a similar manner.

Thanks, Deanna, for sharing your story and for giving me the opportunity to review the book.

1 comment:

  1. Pam, the thanks is all mine. I have enjoyed sharing the book with readers and I appreciate your willingness to read and review. God bless you this day and always!

    ReplyDelete