Thursday, March 14, 2013

Great read from a new author -- The Widower

Have you ever read one of those books where in the first few pages you think the story is OK, but nothing fantastic . . . and then before you know it (maybe a chapter in) you're completely drawn in, involved in the characters' lives and really caring what happens to them next?  Well, The Widower by Ryan LaForge was just that kind of read for me.

I have to admit that I wasn't so sure I liked Jacob, the main character, at the beginning.  But as the author revealed at just the right pace Jacob's thoughts and feelings after the loss of his beloved Leah, it became apparent that there was a very likable person under that thick layer of hurt and guilt.  Jacob's transformation as he finds his way back to God with a renewed sense of purpose in his life provides an engaging read.  A story that begins with a sense of despair ends on a high note of hope and promise.

(By the way, Jacob's story includes a Rachel as well as his Leah.  I loved the Old Testament connection to the contemporary characters.)

As far as I know, The Widower is only available in Kindle format.  If you're a Kindle owner (or can download a free Kindle reader on your computer), I would recommend you head over to Amazon and check out this offering by a new author.

Thanks to Ryan LaForge for sharing a copy of his ebook for my reading pleasure and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment