Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A different kind of Christmas love story -- Promise Me

Tonight I finished reading one of my Christmas presents --  Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans (author of The Christmas Box, Timepiece, The Christmas List, among several others).

Richard Paul Evans has a unique writing style that draws you very personally into the story and makes you feel as though you are sitting and listening to the character tell his or her story.  From the very beginning, I anticipated learning Beth Cardall's secret -- and was quite surprised by the twist the story took as her secret was revealed.  The book left me with ambivalent feelings.  I enjoy a good love story, especially for someone who finds love and hope after having lost both; this story definitely has that.  But the particulars -- which I can't reveal without spoiling the story -- were kind of off the wall.  And the ending -- I'm not sure what to think about it.  Not awful, but not my favorite Richard Paul Evans book.

No comments:

Post a Comment